[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing with LMBs + remote browse sync + samba4WINS

vagy vagy at freemail.gr
Mon Feb 25 14:20:31 MST 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:40:32 +0200, TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com>
wrote:

> From: vagy <vagy at freemail.gr>
> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:28:03 +0200
>
>> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:36:56 +0200, TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> From: vagy <vagy at freemail.gr>
>>> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:34:37 +0200

>>> As far as I examined, "remote browse sync" did not work as I expected.
>>> Sample smb.conf that I examined the behavior is:
>>>
>>> -----
>>> [global]
>>>   workgroup = SAMBAxx
>>>   domain master = yes
>>>   wins support = yes
>>>   remote browse sync = x.x.x.x
>>> -----
>>>
>>> Samba has to be WINS server and DMB.
>>
>> I don't have much experience with these settings myself.
>> Nevertheless, i think "domain master = yes" and "remote browse sync"
>> shouldn't be used together.
>
> The smb.conf above is the only one which works well as far as I examined.
> "domain master = yes" is needed because "remote browse sync = yes" uses
> master browser announcement to search another peer.
>
> Of course, I think this implementation is a bit curious...
>
> ---
> TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com> / @damemonyo
>                    facebook.com/takahashi.motonobu

Hi Takahashi,

looking the SAMBA docs[1] i realized that remote browse sync
means that an LMB will sync its browse list with another
LMB. Thus this "trick" will allow two LMBs to find out
the lists of each other. There is no DMB mentioned in
this process.
Btw how did you examine it? Did you setup a test lab
that implements the setup as i described it?

Cheers,
-vagy

[1]
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html
(search for "Use of the Remote Browse Sync Parameter")