[Samba] Web Site & E-mail Server authentication with Samba4

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Feb 5 14:22:55 MST 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 12:16 +0530, Vijay Thakur wrote:
> I have a running Samba4 Server.  I am able to authenticate Windows and
> Linux Clients very.
> (1) I want to use samba4 as SSO. In this regard my next step is to
> authenticate our web site users from
> samba4 server. In this web site, at home page our corporate users give
> their e-mail address
> username at companydomain.com and password (not e-mail password).
> (2) Our E-mail server is hosted on cloud. We want to deploy our own
> in-house E-mail Server. The users of
> E-mail server will be authenticated from Samba4. In precise, i want to turn
> my samba server a SSO in my required
> two scenario.

SSO means Kerberos (GSSAPI) or NTLM.  There really isn't anything
specific about this for Samba4.  If you can configure SSO for Active
Directory [Microsoft] then you can configure it for Samba4.

Not that a lot of people read SSO and think
single-password/authenticated-against-LDAP.... but that is not SSO.  SSO
is no username/password prompt at all; the application already knows who
the user is.

The "beyond" Wiki page @ <http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/beyond>
has a mention of performing Single Sign-On through Apache.

Other clients like Evolution and Outlook should *JUST WORK*.  Provided
your SMTP & IMAP server supports Kerberos - which I believe they all do.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383