[Samba] msdfs proxy question

Michael Wilke m at 1982.cc
Mon Feb 4 00:04:34 MST 2013

Hi List,

I am struggling a little bit with the msdfs proxy parameter.

I want the samba server as a kind of a bridge between two networks, that
the samba server only shares some of the shares provided by our file
server to a second network.
I don't want the samba srv to be a gw or give the clients a route to the
internal network, because it is a total different user group.

I first tried to do so with an msdfs root directory and symlinks but for
sure it didn't work, because the clients don't have a route to the
source server.

But msdfs proxy doesn't work either:

smb.conf:
-------
[software-new]
        msdfs root = yes
        msdfs proxy= \gunter\software

-------

When I try to access the share from a computer in the sec. network the
log shows:

-------
Client requested device type [?????] for share [SOFTWARE-NEW]
refusing connection to dfs proxy share 'software-new' (pointing to
\gunter\software)
error packet at smbd/reply.c(803) cmd=117 (SMBtconX)
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
-------

The server is accessible from the samba box and smbclient connects fine:

root at samba:~# smbclient -L '\\gunter' -U 'DOMAIN\micha'
WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
Enter DOMAIN\micha's password:
Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Windows Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 2]
Server=[Windows Server 2003 R2 5.2]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	software        Disk      Software

If I access the msdfs share from the sec. network (10.10.12.0) with an
IP in the first network (10.10.10.0) then the connection redirects me to
the gunter server and everything works, but I need a "proxy" not a
standard msdfs redirect.

Any advice appreciated

Michael