[Samba] Samba 4 distro and kernel choice

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Dec 22 12:20:39 MST 2013

On 11/20/2013 06:33 AM, Joeri Feyen wrote:
> We want to setup a Samba4.
> What is the best distribution to start from CentOS 6.4 or Ubuntu
> 12.04LTS?
> I would choose CentOS because it is an enterprise OS. But the kernel of
> CentOS is a version 2.x and Ubuntu server 12.04 kernel is 3.x.
I have a Samba 4 AD running on a CentOS 6.5 server (recent upgrade from
6.4). For anything Microsoft windows Samba 4 just works. I have not had
to do much of anything except install the proper Microsoft tools on a
Windows 7 client.

The issues I have had involve Linux clients. I have managed to get
everything work (i.e. authentication, non-kerberosized nfs automounts of
user home directories with proper GID/UID and ACLs) as long as I use
winbindd on the Linux clients. User home directory automounts via cifs
and kerberosized nfs do not work at all. SSSD on a Linux client works to
authenticate and automount user home directories via non-kerberosized
nfs. However other things broke when using SSSD (e.g. dovecot
authentication fails, user web pages could not be found were two
biggies). I even had issues in that the CentOS 6.4 OS I started with had
a version of Samba that did not even come with samba-tool and as a
result have resorted to using Sernet's Samba. The problem is that the
software versions (e.g. CentOS 6.5 has sssd-1.9.2-129,
cifs-utils-4.8.1-19, nfs-utils-1.2.3-39) used to perform many of these
tasks are just too old and do not seem to play nice with recent Samba 4
versions (I am running version 4.1.3-7).

I haven't had any issues with the kernel, but given some of the other
issues I had with supporting software I would recommend using Ubuntu.
Using Samba 4 is one case where using, relatively speaking, the cutting
edge technology Samba 4 represents with the old stable server software
found in Centos 6.4 or 6.5 does not work well.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)