[Samba] Linux client of the domain - via samba on the client

Cyril cyril.lalinne at 3d-com.fr
Fri Dec 20 03:29:14 MST 2013

Le 18/12/2013 15:53, Rowland Penny a écrit :
> On 18/12/13 14:40, Cyril wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think I'm starting to understand how Linux client can be integrated
>> into a samba domain.
>>
>> Tell me if I'm wrong :
>>
>> Linux clients don't need Samba for authentication, only the ldap part
>> of samba.
> Linux clients can get their authentication from either a local database
> or a remote database ( this can be LDAP based or AD based) but if going
> for remote auth, you really need samba.
>> sssd through kerberos get information from ldap. If the user is known
>> or get the right, he can log.
>
> If sssd can get extract the users info, then yes, they can login.
>

>> So why should I need to install winbind and samba4 on the linux client ?
>> Is it only if I have a Windows AD ?
>
> You can have Samba without winbind, which version of samba you use is up
> to you, but 3.6 is now in security fixes mode. Samba 4 can be run just
> the same as 3.x was, it does not have to be an Active Directory controller.
>
> Rowland
>>

>> Thanks
>> Cyril

As sssd via kerberos doesn't work at the moment, I would like to try
another way to authenticate on Linux workstation with domain profils.
I'll use another virtual workstation for that.

Should I follow this wiki :
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba/Domain_Member ?
Of course without setting up services.

Or may be this link should work better for me ?
http://linuxcostablanca.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/ubuntu-client-for-samba4.html

And should I run the same Samba4 version on the workstation that is on
the AD ?

Cyril