[Samba] Linux client of the domain

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 18 07:53:52 MST 2013

On 18/12/13 14:40, Cyril wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think I'm starting to understand how Linux client can be integrated
> into a samba domain.
>
> Tell me if I'm wrong :
>
> Linux clients don't need Samba for authentication, only the ldap part
> of samba.
Linux clients can get their authentication from either a local database
or a remote database ( this can be LDAP based or AD based) but if going
for remote auth, you really need samba.
> sssd through kerberos get information from ldap. If the user is known
> or get the right, he can log.

If sssd can get extract the users info, then yes, they can login.

> So why should I need to install winbind and samba4 on the linux client ?
> Is it only if I have a Windows AD ?

You can have Samba without winbind, which version of samba you use is up
to you, but 3.6 is now in security fixes mode. Samba 4 can be run just
the same as 3.x was, it does not have to be an Active Directory controller.

Rowland