[Samba] Linux client of the domain

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Dec 18 08:33:10 MST 2013

At Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:40:37 +0100 Cyril <cyril.lalinne at 3d-com.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think I'm starting to understand how Linux client can be integrated
> into a samba domain.
>
> Tell me if I'm wrong :
>
> Linux clients don't need Samba for authentication, only the ldap part of
> samba.
> sssd through kerberos get information from ldap. If the user is known or
> get the right, he can log.
>
> So why should I need to install winbind and samba4 on the linux client ?
> Is it only if I have a Windows AD ?

*IF* the server is Linux and if authentication is via ldap (eg OpenLDAP is
running on the server) AND IF NFS is installed and setup on the server, the
*Linux* client does not need any of Samba at all. It can authentate via LDAP,
share server disks (eg /home/$USER) via NFS (and automount/autofs), and access
printers on the server via CUPS (with 'sharing' enabled). The 'native' Linux
disk 'sharing' is via NFS, 'native' print sharing is via CUPS, and one of
'native' server authentication methods is LDAP (another is kerberos).  A Linux
*client* only needs samba if the server is Windows based.

(Note: the above *also* can apply to MacOSX or *BSD, with the right software
installed. I don't know if NFS is part of the base MacOSX install or not -- it
should be for Linux or *BSD, at least the client side, ie nfs_mount and nfsfs
kernel modules -- the nfsd daemon might be an optional package, depending on
the distro.)

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com