[Samba] Using samba4 with AD and rfc2307 - what are the *current* practices?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 16 03:52:30 MST 2013

On 16/12/13 10:25, Björn JACKE wrote:
> Rowland,
> Steve,
>
> On 2013-12-13 at 18:32 +0000 Rowland Penny sent off:
>> You may not have had problems with the sernet packages, but others
>> have, so it is swings and roundabouts.
> if you encounter any problem with them or if you find anything with is broken
> in them, please say what you found to be broken, instead of rant
> without reasons. I'm curious what problem you found and we're eager to
> fix it if there is a real problem.
>
> Cheers
> Björn
Hi, I cannot fully recall all the various problems I had, but it all
boiled down to the fact that you rename the various debs so that they
all start with 'sernet-' this would be ok, except that it also removed
any 'samba' packages that were installed and what was even worse, any
packages that relied on the removed packages (and there were a lot,).
So, for at least this reason if no other, I would not recommend the
sernet packages at all and would advise anybody who wants to use Samba4
in AD mode, to compile it their self , in the end it works out easier.

Rowland