[Samba] Howto for manage unix data with ADUC

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Dec 10 10:13:34 MST 2013

At Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:55:22 +0000 Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/13 16:51, Stéphane PURNELLE wrote:
> > What is a guinea pig?
> >
> > What OS you ask :
> >
> > The DC : Suse Linux
> > The file/print server : Suse Linux
> >
> > Samba 4 work on microsoft windows, it's a joke ?
> >
> > I know how to add unix tab, but is the other part of the configuration
> > that I need some information.
> >
> > have a nice day
> >
> > -----------------------------------
> > Stéphane PURNELLE         Admin. Systèmes et Réseaux
> > Service Informatique       Corman S.A.     Tel : 00 32 (0)87/342467
> >
> > Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote on 10/12/2013 17:47:17:
> >
> > > De : Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
> > > A : Stéphane PURNELLE <stephane.purnelle at corman.be>,
> > samba at lists.samba.org,
> > > Date : 10/12/2013 17:47
> > > Objet : Re: [Samba] Howto for manage unix data with ADUC

> > account

> > I must
> > configure xID

> > ADUC (if

> > (0)87/342467
> > > Hi, I might just be the 'some people' you refer to ;-)
> > >
> > > What OS does your server run? does it have a gtk based GUI and do you
> > > feel like being a guinea pig?
> > >
> > > Rowland
> > >
> Boy, you sure are touchy, but I repeat, do you feel like helping me by
> being a guinea pig and testing something? only problem is it only runs
> on a GTK based desktop.

Most GTK programs will run on *any* (UNIX/Linux) desktop. I run GnuCash,
Gimp, and some others on a NON-GTK based desktop (actually I don't run any
sort of desktop manager at all, just 'bare' FVWM on my CentOS system. GTK
programs run just fine.

I am pretty sure SUSE has some sort of GUI user-management tool.  I don't know
how it is integrated with Samba, but if Samba is properly setup to use UNIX
accounts, then that should not be a problem.

Actually, since both the server and client are UNIX/Linux based, samba is not
really needed.  For example, if the CUPS server on the print server machine is
set up to 'share' and the CUPS server on the client(s) are set up to browse
shared printers, then printer sharing can completely bypass samba -- this is
simplier way to share printers amoungst UNIX/Linux machines (and this includes
MacOSX).  In many ways using NFS+Automount can work better as a way to share
files amoungst UNIX/Linux machines as well.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com