[Samba] [Samba 3, Debian wheezy] All of a sudden, resolving ADS user fails completely

Patrick G. Stoesser lists at pgs-info.de
Tue Dec 10 05:39:06 MST 2013

Hello everybody.

since this morning I've got a massive problem.

My fileserver (Debian wheezy, Samba 3, everything up-to-date) is an ADS
member server and was running flawlessly for two weeks. Since a few days
I began to move users to this server from an old one, and since this
morning nothing works anymore.

The symptoms are: User get "wrong password" when trying to mount shares.
On the server itself users are not being resolved, too:

root at fileserver3:/home/remroot# ls -l /srv1
drwx------ 15 10039 root  4096 Jan 17  2013 user1
drwx------ 12 10030 root  4096 Nov  5 10:45 user2
drwx------ 11 10056 root  4096 Jun 27  2012 user3

Normally this should be like that (and like it was):

root at fileserver3:/home/remroot# ls -l /srv1
drwx------ 15 user1 root  4096 Jan 17  2013 user1
drwx------ 12 user2 root  4096 Nov  5 10:45 user2
drwx------ 11 user3 root  4096 Jun 27  2012 user3

Same thing when trying to chown (my winbind seperator is "#"):

root at fileserver3:/# chown -vR ad#user1 /srv1/user1
chown: ungültiger Benutzer: "ad#user1"

As said before, this worked yesterday, too.

/What/ works are the usual diagnosis things like wbinfo, wbinfo -g,
wbinfo -a username%password, net ads testjoin... Rejoining the ADS
didn't solve the problem either.

One more time: Since yesterday everything worked fine. Even more: The
same config is still working fine on three other servers.

Does anyone have any idea where I could look after? At the moment, I'm
at my wit's end.

Thanks in advance and kind regards, Patrick