[Samba] Inexplicable rejection of credentials

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 30 14:48:37 MDT 2013

> From: Ryan Bair [mailto:ryandbair at gmail.com]
>
> Did you smbpasswd the user on that machine?

No. I don't recall ever doing it on the other Ubuntu machine either, but
I've had that machine for a year, so I can't swear to it. But that was the
problem. I had to do "sudo smbpasswd pauld", so that it wouldn't ask for
the old password, but that made it work.

I had sort of thought that the "unix password sync" parameter had
something to do with that, but on carefully reading the smb.conf man page,
it looks like it only ensures that changing the Samba password also
changes the unix password, not that Samba inherits the unix password.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com