[Samba] /var/lock/samba filling up /run/lock

Karolin Seeger ks at sernet.de
Fri Aug 30 04:19:17 MDT 2013

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:06:55AM -0600, Mark Fox wrote:
> Thanks Achim, especially for pointing out where we can set the size of
> /run/lock and have it stick after a reboot. We hadn't gotten that far yet,
> but we did expand the size of /run/lock on Friday by hand and do some
> testing. We ended up chasing an unrelated wild goose, but realized this
> morning that simply expanding /run/lock does look like a viable workaround.
>
> Also, in exploring the problem, we're seeing about 300KB being chewed up in
> /run/lock with every new user that logs in. To be clear, this only seems to
> happen the first time a user logs in. I'm not sure if that is a symptom of
> a problem, or just normal operation. We've also noticed that a version of
> Samba 4 built from source taken from the Git repository puts its lock files
> under /usr/local/samba, completely avoiding the problem.
>
> Since the Sernet packages use /run/lock, I imagine this will be a problem
> for anyone with more than about a dozen users. They might want to point
> Samba somewhere else to store its locks.

we changed the directory for tdb files containing non-persistent data
to /var/cache/samba/ to work around very limited tmpfs partitions in our SerNet
packages. It should be fixed with Samba 4.0.9-5 RPMs and 4.0.9-6 debs.
Maybe you would like to update.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Karolin

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto:kontakt at SerNet.DE