[Samba] /var/lock/samba filling up /run/lock

Mark Fox mark.fox at ecacs16.ab.ca
Mon Aug 19 11:06:55 MDT 2013

Thanks Achim, especially for pointing out where we can set the size of
/run/lock and have it stick after a reboot. We hadn't gotten that far yet,
but we did expand the size of /run/lock on Friday by hand and do some
testing. We ended up chasing an unrelated wild goose, but realized this
morning that simply expanding /run/lock does look like a viable workaround.

Also, in exploring the problem, we're seeing about 300KB being chewed up in
/run/lock with every new user that logs in. To be clear, this only seems to
happen the first time a user logs in. I'm not sure if that is a symptom of
a problem, or just normal operation. We've also noticed that a version of
Samba 4 built from source taken from the Git repository puts its lock files
under /usr/local/samba, completely avoiding the problem.

Since the Sernet packages use /run/lock, I imagine this will be a problem
for anyone with more than about a dozen users. They might want to point
Samba somewhere else to store its locks.

Mark A. Fox, M.Sc.
Director of Technology
East Central Alberta Catholic Schools
Cell: 403-740-6101