[Samba] CUPS working but errors from Windows clients accessing printer

Kevin Field kev at brantaero.com
Fri Aug 23 07:25:36 MDT 2013

Hi,

On CentOS 6.4 (newdc), I have CUPS 1.4.2-50.el6_4.5 installed, can
access its web interface.  There I set up our main shared printer, an
OCE Imagistics cm2520, and successfully printed a test page.

With SerNet Samba 4.0.9 on the same box configured every which example
way I could find, I cannot seem to get it to the point where
double-clicking the printer in Windows (W2K3, OLDDC) opens up the print
queue (as it does from \\olddc).  The closest I get, by manually
defining the printer in smb.conf, is that it shows up in \\newdc in
Windows Explorer, but double-clicking the BackOfficeCopier printer gives
this error:

---------------------------
Printers
---------------------------
Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name was typed
incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
server.  For more information, click Help.
---------------------------
OK   Help
---------------------------

If I double-click the "printers" share, I get:

---------------------------
\\newdc
---------------------------
\\newdc\printers is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions.

Incorrect function.

---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Neither of these causes an entry to appear in log.samba.  However,
double-clicking on Printers and Faxes shows me a folder containing just
"Add Printer" and generates this log entry in log.samba:

[2013/08/23 09:18:39.921226,  0]
../source4/smb_server/smb/service.c:127(make_connection)
   make_connection: couldn't find service
::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
[2013/08/23 09:18:39.935896,  0]
../source4/rpc_server/spoolss/dcesrv_spoolss.c:1189(dcesrv_spoolss_RemoteFindFirstPrinterChangeNotifyEx)
   unable to call back to \\OLDDC
[2013/08/23 09:18:39.952321,  0]
../source4/rpc_server/spoolss/dcesrv_spoolss.c:1189(dcesrv_spoolss_RemoteFindFirstPrinterChangeNotifyEx)
   unable to call back to \\OLDDC

If I then try "Add Printer" and click Next, my only choice is the top
one and there are no ports listed.  Trying "Next" again at that point
just gives:

---------------------------
Add Printer Wizard
---------------------------
Operation could not be completed.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

About the first error, the queue name in CUPS is OCE, and in smb.conf I
have this:

[global]
         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
         realm = mydomain.lan
         netbios name = NEWDC
         server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, smb, dns
         allow dns updates = true
         dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1
#        dns recursive queries = yes
         dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr,
netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser,
eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
#       dcerpc endpoint servers = winreg srvsvc
         load printers = yes
         printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[netlogon]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mydomain.lan/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

[printers]
      comment = All Printers
      path = /var/spool/samba/
         guest ok = Yes
      browseable = Yes
      read only = No
      printable = Yes
         create mask = 0700

[print$]
      comment = Point and Print Printer Drivers
      path = /var/lib/samba/printing
      read only = No

[BackOfficeCopier]
      path = /var/spool/samba/
      browseable = yes
      printable = yes
      printer name = OCE

[mytest]
         path = /home/srv/samba-test-share
         read only = No

As far as ACL goes for the second error, etc.:

$ sudo ls -l /var/spool/
drwxrwxrwt.  2 root   root   4096 Aug 15 18:10 samba

$ sudo ls -l /var/lib/samba/
drwxr-xr-x.  4 root root    4096 Aug 22 22:19 printing

I copied everything from \\olddc\print$ to \\newdc\print$ before
chmodding printing back to 755.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  I tried following the HOWTO to the
letter, and then I started trying configurations mentioned on various
help sites, and nothing seems to do the trick yet.

Thanks,
Kev