[Samba] 3.5.5 on Solaris 10 - Doesn't expose all content (NFS)

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Aug 21 14:11:31 MDT 2013

So, we're doing a bad thing and re-exporting an NFS file system via
Samba.  For the most part it's always worked fairly well and we've been
cognizant of the various locking scenarios that can come up.

Recently, we've run into issues exposing NFS file systems sitting on
RHEL6.  Our Samba server runs Solaris 10 and the vendor provided Samba
daemon (we're currently at 3.5.5 but looking to apply the latest patch
which will get us to 3.6.15).

Looking at the NFS export on the RHEL6 server from the Samba server via
NFS directly (either via the automounter or via an explicit NFS mount)
lets us see all the files just fine.  Nothing is "missing".

But access the Samba share that points to that path or mountopint, and
much of the content is missing.  I can sometimes get missing content to
show up again by changing the name of a file, but have yet to find any
rhyme or reason to why that works.

Beyond the fact that re-exporting as we're doing is really not
recommended, does the above ring any bells for anyone?  This works fine
for every other platform out there other than with RHEL6.  Digging
further on that side as well.

Thanks,
Ray