[Samba] Samba 4 upgrade issues

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Sun Aug 18 14:00:42 MDT 2013

I have upgraded from Samba 3 to Samba 4 for authentication (Windows and Linux authentication are working). Samba 4 is acting as the DC.

However, there are some issues that I can't resolve involving both profiles and automatic home folder mapping.

I have 3 samba servers that are at Samba 3.5 (1 server) and 3.0 (2 servers). Prior to the upgrade, both roaming profiles and automatic mapping of home folders worked. I was able to join all 3 systems to the new samba 4 AD domain. Kerberos is working (I can get tickets via kinit) on all three of the samba 3 servers.

For the homes and profiles folders, the section of my smb.conf file is:

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
writable = yes
valid users = %S
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
csc policy = disable
nt acl support = yes

[profiles]
comment = AUTH1 Network Profiles Service
path = /opt/samba/profiles
read only = no
store dos attributes = Yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
csc policy = disable
nt acl support = yes
hide files = /desktop.ini

[profiles.V2]
copy = profiles
browseable = no
read only = no

For the accounts, (in ADUC), a user has the profile path specified as \\auth1\profiles\USERNAME and the Home Folder using the Connect option to \\fs2\homes\USERNAME where auth1 is the server storing the profiles and fs2 is the file server with the users home directory. The filesystem are mounted with the acl option. The systems are running Centos5.9.

I can get the profiles to work by nfs mounting the existing profiles to the new samba4 server and specifying the profiles and the samba 4 server via

[Profiles]
path = /opt/samba/Profiles
read only = no

where I have nfs mounted /opt/samba from auth1 /opt/samba. It is a kludge but works for the moment. I can't however get the home folders to map. I can browse to them and they are being shared (e.g. if I login as a user, I can browse to fs2 and I'll see homes and the username folders shared.) I can even manually map the folders. However, I can't change/add permissions as suggested here: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Windows_Profiles#Profiles_share_on_a_Samba_4.x_server for the samba 3 servers.

I will be upgrading these servers to Ubuntu 12.04 with Samba 4 but in the interim I need to get automatic mappings working if possible. I can use a startup script to map the folders if that is the only option as well.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins