[Samba] Speed differences for windows clients

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Aug 16 05:42:05 MDT 2013

There is more windows 7 tuning possible..

Here are some extra things to test.

read this site
before changing anything run : netsh int tcp show global   and write down your defaults.

http://betanews.com/2011/01/20/use-hidden-windows-tweaks-to-speed-up-your-internet-and-network-connections/

and extra
Disable Windows Scaling heuristics

also for some quick service tuning.
look here.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

I've disabled
** Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
With large music collections, this eats your cpu.
and it corrupts your media player database.
** Windows Search
i dont use windows search...

and there is one at software / windows components.
Remote Differential Compression,   remove the V.
and reboot.

This are the things i did for tuning my win7.
My server is a E350 running at 0.8-1.6Ghz, 2 x 3TB Software Raid 1. (mdraid)  ( 5400 rpm )
and i do the max ( 125Mb/s) when i copy large files. ( ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64Bit )
the 3 TB are 3 partions, the movie partition had 4mb blocksite. ( optimized for large files )
and this is done while running xmbc, downloading and playing movies.

The first things i would try are.
- disable Remote Differential Compression  ( remove )
- disable Windows Search
- disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
try these before changing anything from above sites.
this one is the most noticable : netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
and you did that one already.

Best regards,

Louis