[Samba] Speed differences for windows clients

Philipp Lies philipp.lies at cin.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Aug 16 03:55:51 MDT 2013

Your points would be a good explanation if the speed difference would
occur with linux clients as well. But from linux the connection speed is
close to the 1Gbit limit.

Details on the setup: Linux (ubuntu 12.04 lts x64) and Windows (7 x64)
clients are the same machine, just booting a different OS, an have both
a 1Gbit ethernet connection and are separated through a 2x10 Gbit
firewall from the two servers. The fast server has a 1 Gbit network
connection, the slow server 10 Gbit (yes, that's one reason why I'm
confused). The shares of both servers are the same raid file system with
>400MB/s writing speed.
Firewall (iptables) rules are identically on the servers and the
firewall between client and servers.
So I think I removed causes from the hardware and connection side as
much as possible (without rewiring half of my server room).
Since there doesn't seem to be something simple I forgot to check I
think I can live with the slower windows clients.

Thanks!