[Samba] Samba 4 as member server

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Aug 6 04:58:13 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:36 +0200, Klaus Rörig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that the ntvfs module is not working on Ubuntu, I get lots of
> error messages about this.
> I don't see Samba4 servers on network neighborhood, so users cannot
> browses shares but I do see Samba3 servers, so I have to get Samba3
> working with Samba4.
>
> Or I have to build Samba4 by myself.
>
> Klaus

Hi
I don't think you can have (or would want?) network neighbourhood with
AD. It may be best to have real shares and control access using ACL's or
smb.conf. If you can, I really would advise building s4 from source:
4.0.8 for both DC and file server and using samba for the DC and smbd
for the file server. It takes longer but it's easy to do and you can be
sure to have the latest version. If you want to stick with Ubuntu then I
see the s4 DC and separate s3 file server the best way to go.
Cheers,
Steve