[Samba] Freebsd 3.5->4 New Server Profile Paths Lost

David Menzel david at jbautotech.com
Wed Apr 17 12:46:48 MDT 2013

I am migrating a Freebsd 8.2 Samba 3.5.11 system to Freebsd 9.1 Samba
4.0.4. I copied over all of the users home directories, local accounts,
and the tdb files. I ran the classic upgrade tool, got the server up and
running, and users could login however they were on fresh local profiles
rather than roaming profiles.

In the log file for the station, I found the following message

[2013/04/13 15:42:48.565068,  3]
../source3/smbd/password.c:138(register_homes_share)
   No home directory defined for user 'DOMAINNAME\johndoe'

 From there, I pulled up the user data in pdbedit and found that several
fields were not populated from the old server to the new. I tried
manually filling in the fields, and verified the config still pointed to
the profile path in the same place, however the user account still could
not connect to the roaming profile directory.