[Samba] [SOLVED] Samba4 Does cifs need a keytab for the multiuser option?

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Fri Apr 12 10:10:07 MDT 2013

On 12/04/13 16:52, steve wrote:
> On 12/04/13 17:21, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Hi Rowland
>>> It WAS an idmap/winbind problem. On the one hand we can get our
>>> uid:gid from idmap.ldb or we can get it from AD. But not a mix of
>>> the two. What I had was the server using idmap and the client using
>>> AD. Disaster! The line:
>>> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = Yes
>>> needs to be added to smb.conf for uid:gid ALWAYS being pulled from
>>> AD. Just to be sure, I also had a long ldbedit session on idmap.ldb
>>> to remove the users that Samba added before I got the syntax right
>>> for the smb.conf line above.
>>>
>>> I agree that winbind is too complicated a way to go about adding
>>> Linux clients to AD, especially when there are point and click
>>> methods around (I believe you just found one: we use nss-ldapd). But
>>> what really seems to confuse the issue is that we have TWO methods
>>> for ID mapping. idmap or the AD ldap. I'd vote for going with just
>>> one method: AD. Having choice in matters such as these can only add
>>> to the already confusing winbind/AD setup, as I have just so
>>> painfully found out:(
>>>
>>> I believe the devs think that as time goes by, Samba4 will get more
>>> attention from companies wanting to deploy more and more windows
>>> boxes. Where I come from, we're going the other way: even though
>>> we'll always cater for a few microsoft programs, the windows boxes
>>> are slowly but surely being replaced by Linux. Maybe in a year or
>>> so, none of this will be relevant as we go cloud. Not sure. Having
>>> said all this, I still think S4 is a remarkable achievement.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>
>> Hi Steve
>> That may have been your problem, but it wasn't mine :-(
>>
>> I had that line in smb.conf, but the users directory was mounted on
>> the client and the files etc belonged the correct user whose
>> uidNumber was 3000017 but all newly created files became the property
>> of 3000000, both on the client & the server. I could not find the
>> user 3000000 anywhere, so I went and read your postings over on the
>> cifs mailing list to see if it gave me any ideas, it did :-) .
>>
>> I found the problem & user 3000000 in /usr/local/samba/private/idmap.ldb
>>
>> # record 24
>> dn: CN=S-1-5-32-544
>> cn: S-1-5-32-544
>> objectClass: sidMap
>> objectSid: S-1-5-32-544
>> type: ID_TYPE_BOTH
>> xidNumber: 3000000
>> distinguishedName: CN=S-1-5-32-544
>>
>> A bit more googling produced this:
>>
>> SID: S-1-5-32-544
>> Name: Administrators
>> operating system, the only member of the group is the Administrator
>> account. When a computer joins a domain, the Domain Admins group is
>> added to the Administrators group. When a server becomes a domain
>> controller, the Enterprise Admins group also is added to the
>> Administrators group.

> [...]
Hi Steve, I see where you are coming from, but in this instance I am
mounting the entire users homedirectory from the server, a bit like
windows profiles but faster, so all the files need to be owned by the user.
What I cannot understand is, why did my users uidNumber get set to a
gidNumber when saving any files on the cifs mount, all I did was add the
user to the Domain Admins group with samba-tool, this should not affect
the users uidNumber, surely if anything it should have affected the
users group gidNumber.

Rowland

believed to be clean.