[Samba] Python UCS2 vs UCS4 issue on latest git: ImportError: ....undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_Decode (NOT SOLVED)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 4 20:34:48 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 21:16 -0400, Phil Quesinberry wrote:
> I forgot to remove 'solved' from the title after the fix I thought I had
> discovered didn't work.  I was going to post anyway in hopes of helping
> someone else but that didn't quite work out the way I'd planned.  I'll use
> the lateness of the hour as an excuse.

I was about to ask exactly how it was solved...

> Ok, so after digging further into this problem, it's getting weird:
>
> I decided to manually do the configure>make>make install on Samba's private
> Python build that's normally done in the 'install_with_python' shell script
> and configure it with --enable-unicode=ucs2 but even though it built
> successfully, executing /usr/local/samba/python/bin/python and doing an
> import sys followed by print sys.maxunicode gives a value of 1114111.  So
> either my config command was ignored completely or there's something else
> going on that I just don't understand.  If that's the case and someone in
> here knows enough to enlighten the new guy on what's happening or at least
> direct me to some relevant info, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Also, if there's a way to "un-provision" Samba in order to join an existing
> domain as a DC without wiping it out and re-installing, I'd like to know how
> to do that too.  I see where others have asked the same question but each
> time it has gone unanswered so I'm assuming that there's no practical way to
> do it at the moment.  That's actually what got me into this mess.

There is no need to 'un-provision'.  Joining the existing domain as a DC
already wipes the data from the previous join.

> I'll try reverting to the latest stable version, this last pull from
> v4-0-test appears to be broken, at least for my environment.

I would like to understand better what is failing for you, as nothing
related to his has intentionally changed since 4.0.0, in either master
of v4-0-test.  (Frankly, the changes in this area of the code in total
have been quite limited, as we work to address issues raised by the 4.0
release rather than embark on massive new features).

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett