[Samba] Python UCS2 vs UCS4 issue on latest git: ImportError: ....undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_Decode (NOT SOLVED)

Phil Quesinberry philq at qsystemsengineering.com
Thu Apr 4 19:16:56 MDT 2013

I forgot to remove 'solved' from the title after the fix I thought I had
discovered didn't work.  I was going to post anyway in hopes of helping
someone else but that didn't quite work out the way I'd planned.  I'll use
the lateness of the hour as an excuse.

Ok, so after digging further into this problem, it's getting weird:

I decided to manually do the configure>make>make install on Samba's private
Python build that's normally done in the 'install_with_python' shell script
and configure it with --enable-unicode=ucs2 but even though it built
successfully, executing /usr/local/samba/python/bin/python and doing an
import sys followed by print sys.maxunicode gives a value of 1114111.  So
either my config command was ignored completely or there's something else
going on that I just don't understand.  If that's the case and someone in
here knows enough to enlighten the new guy on what's happening or at least
direct me to some relevant info, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if there's a way to "un-provision" Samba in order to join an existing
domain as a DC without wiping it out and re-installing, I'd like to know how
to do that too.  I see where others have asked the same question but each
time it has gone unanswered so I'm assuming that there's no practical way to
do it at the moment.  That's actually what got me into this mess.

I'll try reverting to the latest stable version, this last pull from
v4-0-test appears to be broken, at least for my environment.

- Phil