[Samba] smbclient username not working

Caleb O'Connell caleb at privacyassociation.org
Wed Sep 26 09:09:52 MDT 2012

I was able to solve my problem, so to follow up I'll post what I did.  I was
on a RHEL 5 server using samba3x (3.5.10) and when I tested prior to this
implementation, it was on Ubuntu 12.04 with samba 3.6.8(?), whatever the
version in their repos is.

The test system worked great, as expected, which is why I went ahead with
the implementation.  I know, shame on me for taking what worked in test and
assuming a different dist. and different version would work the same.  I
thought I had generically setup samba enough that it should just work
similarly.

My solution was to install some samba3 3.6.8 packages that were listed on
enterprisesamba.org.  Once I installed those packages, I went through the
same process and it just worked, like it did on Ubuntu.

One thing I had noticed, I forgot about the "max protocol = smb2" that I was
testing on Ubuntu, which got brought over to the failed implementation with
samba3x 3.5.10.  I know that smb2 is not fully supported on that version.
After doing the join, if I commented out the max protocol, the shares would
be totally unavailable.  I had to keep it in there after initially having it
added.  I think that may have been my problem all along?

For now, it's working and working great.  I'm very happy with the samba4
beta and samba 3.6 participation.

--
Caleb O'Connell CIPP/US, CIPP/IT | IT Coordinator
IAPP | International Association of Privacy Professionals