[Samba] Windows 8 Pro no domain logon possible

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 07:17:50 MDT 2012

Disclaimer: I am just a Samba user.

On 20 September 2012 13:11, Roland Schwingel
<roland.schwingel at onevision.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Daniel Müller <mueller at tropenklinik.de> wrote on 20.09.2012 12:50:30:
>
>> By the way, the only success to join a windows 8 pro to a domain was to
>> set
>> up samba4 ads and join it successfully.
>> I did not succeed in any way else.
>
> It is good to hear that there is at least a chance to join windows 8 to
> samba. The bad news is that samba 4 is still beta and not ready for
> production use. I am sitting here in a bigger installation with a big
> central LDAP for each and everything (not only samba). Migrating from samba3
> to samba4 is a several months task.

Well, the first release candidate has been released, and people are
using it in production, but of course whether it's ready for you I
cannot say.

> So I hope there will be a samba 3 based solution for using windows 8
> in a domain, too.
>
> What is the official plan here?
> Can the required portions for windows 8 be backported to samba 3?

I doubt it.  As far as I know recent versions of Windows will not work
with an NT-style domain at all, unless the DC is a Samba server.  i.e.
you will not be able to join a Windows 8 (or 7 or maybe earlier)
machine to a Windows NT-style domain controller.  So I don't think
there's some little bit of Samba 4 that could be backported to Samba 3
to allow you to join a Windows 8 machine to the domain.  More likely
there's something that needs to be fixed in Samba 3 or in Windows 8 to
get this working again.

> BTW: Is it possible to use samba4 with another LDAP server/infrastructure
> not the samba4 supplied one?

No, it is not possible to use another LDAP server instead of Samba 4's
built-in LDAP implementation.  At one point there was support for
this, but as far as I understand it, it is not technically possible to
make it work properly and the support was removed/deprecated.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>