[Samba] FW: Kerberos errors in samba4 domain using outlook and exchange

Timothy Jordan Tim at NorthTechGroup.com
Tue Sep 18 14:09:13 MDT 2012

Exchange uses internal addressing when communicating with recipients within the same domain.  I'm curious what version of Exchange is hosting?  My guess is that there are multiple email address attached to the AD user and you're seeing the attempt to have it deliver as a "local" user.  As Exchange is not local to your environment the email delivers via the SMTP address.

Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: Caleb O'Connell [mailto:caleb at privacyassociation.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:48 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Kerberos errors in samba4 domain using outlook and exchange

So, I have a Samba4 domain setup, which is working pretty well.
Our windows 7 computers all have outlook connected to Exchange that is hosted elsewhere.  This also works great.
I keep getting in the samba log messages like:

Kerberos: UNKNOWN -- username\@domain.com at SAMBA.DOMAIN: no such entry found in hdb

so, basically, the username is the e-mail username, not the samba username, the domain.com is our e-mail domain and of course SAMBA.DOMAIN is our internal domain.

It looks like outlook can sense it's on active directory and is broadcasting it's e-mail as username with e-mail domain.  This doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but I'd like to not have this.

This is probably more a windows issue, but if someone is an active directory/windows auth guru, maybe there is some setting I can work with?  I couldn't find anything searching google, this is probably a unique problem only people with a setup like mine would experience.

Thanks in advance.