[Samba] Samba 4 rc1 installation attempts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 14 23:23:56 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 22:50 +0100, James Cronin wrote:
> All going fine with new RC1, however one suggestion I would make for the
> new configure scripts which are much more helpful than the old style
> ones, would be to put more of a warning about ACL support being needed
> to successfully provision an domain - or make it a configure failure if
> this is not found? Maybe with an option to pass to configure to allow
> overriding the error???
>
> . I was aware of the requirement, but have just managed somehow to build
> it without ACL installed on an old test machine which has taken a good
> hour to build samba!

This is actually a known issue, and one I had hoped to have time to
address for RC1.  It even got as far as an explicit promise to do
exactly that at the bottom of BUILD_SYSTEMS.txt.  I just haven't had
time to look into the practical details.  We would do the same with ldap
dev libaries (so that any build with waf would be an ADS build, for
similar reasons), libxattr and a few other 'optional' thing that you
don't want to skip on a modern unix.

Andrew Bartlett