[Samba] Lost group mappings going from Samba 3.5 to Samba 3.6

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Thu Nov 15 09:50:21 MST 2012

Greetings,

I recently upgraded an AD member server from Samba 3.5.15 to Samba 3.6.9
and found that I had lost all the existing local group mappings.

I see that the group mapping file has gone from group_mapping.ldb to
group_mapping.tdb.

Was there a conversion/upgrade procedure I should have found and used?
Online documentation I can find says it is for the 3.5 series of samba,
does updated documentation for 3.6 exist somewhere?

Does a group mapping migration procedure exist, or will I need to
recreate it from scratch?  On this initial trial of Samba 3.6 only a few
groups existed, on the larger production machines the story is different
and recreating the groups and memberships will be a chore.

Thanks!
Bob Martel

Robert M. Martel                 I met someone who looks a lot like you
System Administrator             She does the things you do
Levin College of Urban Affairs   But she is an IBM
Cleveland State University                           -Jeff Lynne
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu