[Samba] sambar4: user creation with ldap and initial password

Thomas Mueller thomas at chaschperli.ch
Thu Nov 1 06:44:05 MDT 2012

hi

trying to create a user with ldap from a remote server. The user is
created successfully. I'm failing setting the initial password.

Setting the unicodePwd with kerberos administrator credentials with
ldbmodify and the ldif below results in "00002035: setup_io: it's not
allowed to set the NT hash password directly".

searching the web I've found s4 mailinglist entries telling "do not set
unicodePwd with ldap".  this KB article tells in AD it's possible to set
it:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263991/en-us

Is there a supported method to supply the initial user password with s4
and ldap?

- Thomas

LDIF:
dn: CN=Thomas Mueller,OU=Users,DC=test,DC=testing
changetype: modify
replace: unicodePwd
unicodePwd:: $IlRlc3QxMjMtLSIK