[Samba] samba4 (The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed )

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:38:30 MDT 2012

Hi Deepak,

  When you join a machine to the domain, that action adds an account in the
domain with the machine's name, followed by a "$".  This is the same for
Samba3 and Samba4.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "working fine
without an entry," but I suspect you may be working with a machine in a
"Workgroup" setting.  You can access folder shares on a network even if you
are only in a Windows "workgroup", but there are lots of problems with that
approach.  I'm not at all sure how adding a "user" with the machine's name
would work, since there are other things stored with the machine account.

  If you look in the Samba4/HOWTO Wiki, in the section on "*Joining the
Windows client into domain*", you will see instructions on how to add a
Windows client to the domain.  Of course, the screens for XP and W7 look
different, but you're doing basically the same thing.  You definitely do
NOT want to manually create machine accounts through the AD GUI.  If you
are running into problems with an error complaining about storage, then you
may need to rebuild your VM with more disk space.  I'm running my test
Samba4 server on a VMware ESXi VM.  I've allocated a large virtual disk,
but at the moment, I'm using less than 10GB of storage.

--
    Charles Tryon