[Samba] Samba4 DNS - Adding CNAME

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Sat May 19 04:57:26 MDT 2012

On 19/05/2012 11:12, Michael Wood wrote:

> So, the question is; What am I doing wrong?
>>> I haven't tried the above myself, but it seems you are adding it the
>>> wrong way around.  i.e. it looks like you are saying that the
>>> canonical name of "centos" is "debian" instead of what you want (i.e.
>>> that the canonical name of "debian" is "centos".)
>>>
>>> i.e. it looks like you now have this situation:
>>>
>>> centos IN A 192.168.1.11
>>> centos IN CNAME debian
>>>
>> Yes, I did wonder about that and did try it the other way around. That
>> resulted in a new record as follows;
>>
>>   Name=debian, Records=1, Children=0
>>     CNAME: centos. (flags=f0, serial=21, ttl=900)
>>
>> But it still doesn't resolve.
> OK, then try specifying the FQDN for "centos" when you add the CNAME
> record.  From the output above it looks like it's adding a CNAME to
> "centos." instead of "centos.example.com".
>
> Also try:
>
> dig @192.168.1.254 debian.example.com. IN CNAME
>
> If everything is set up correctly you should get something like this:
>
> [...]
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;debian.example.com.		IN	CNAME
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> debian.example.com.	3600	IN	CNAME	centos.example.com.
> [...]
Ok, I used;

samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 example.com debian CNAME centos.example.com

a query now returns;

   Name=centos, Records=1, Children=0
     A: 192.168.1.11 (flags=f0, serial=2, ttl=900)
   Name=debian, Records=1, Children=0
     CNAME: centos.example.com. (flags=f0, serial=23, ttl=900)

and 'dig @192.168.1.254 debian.example.com. IN CNAME' returns;

[...]

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;debian.example.com.   IN      CNAME

;; ANSWER SECTION:
debian.example.com. 900 IN     CNAME   centos.example.com.

[...]

However, neither 'debian' nor 'debian.example.com' resolve to an IP, yet
the output from dig implies the entry is correct? Of course, 'centos'
does resolve.

--
Any question is easy if you know the answer!