[Samba] Windows 7 often creates new user profiles

Jorell JorellF at fastmail.net
Sun May 13 10:33:02 MDT 2012

On 5/12/2012 2:48 PM, Christian Meier wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2012 17:47:02 +0200
> Christian Meier<ch2009 at arcor.de>  wrote:
>
>> Windows 7 clients often create new roaming profiles for existing
>> users for no identifiable reason. Windows XP isn't affected.
>
> Some reasons for this behavior I googled:
>
> 1. insufficient permissions for profile-folder
> 2. "trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
> failed." -->  dis-join and rejoin the workstation
> 3. .bak is appended in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
> \Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Remove the other SIDs and the
> ".bak" extension.
> 4. do not use roaming profiles. (But there are other problems with
> folder redirection [1].)
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles#Folder_Redirection

Do you have ACL enabled on the partition?

In my share I have the options
[ProfileShare]
create mask = 4711
directory mask = 4711
map acl inherit = Yes
profile acls = Yes
store dos attributes = Yes
root preexec = /root/pdc/smbmkhomedir.sh %D %U

< smbmkhomedir.sh >
#!/bin/bash
if [ ! -e /home/$1/$2 ]; then
	mkdir -p /home/$1/$2
	chown $2:"Domain Users" /home/$1/$2
	chmod 4711 /home/$1/$2
	setfacl --set=d:u::rwx,d:g::--x,d:o::---,d:u:$2:rwx,d:g:'domain
users':--x /home/$1/$2
fi
exit 0