[Samba] Windows 7 often creates new user profiles

Christian Meier ch2009 at arcor.de
Sat May 12 15:48:01 MDT 2012

On Sat, 12 May 2012 17:47:02 +0200
Christian Meier <ch2009 at arcor.de> wrote:

> Windows 7 clients often create new roaming profiles for existing
> users for no identifiable reason. Windows XP isn't affected.

Some reasons for this behavior I googled:

1. insufficient permissions for profile-folder
2. "trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
failed." --> dis-join and rejoin the workstation
3. .bak is appended in registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Remove the other SIDs and the
".bak" extension.
4. do not use roaming profiles. (But there are other problems with
folder redirection [1].)

[1]
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles#Folder_Redirection