[Samba] Roaming profiles not being loaded

Paul Dugas paul at dugas.cc
Tue Mar 27 08:10:38 MDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Sean Crosby
<richardnixonshead at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
>> However, a user login in which the profile is defined to be on a samba
>> server that is not the PDC never gets a roaming profile -- instead the
> user
>> always gets a temporary profile. Looking at the Windows logs, it is
>> complaining about a permissions issue. However, once logged in (with the
>> temporary profile), that user can create and modify files in the profile
>> directory. I have turned logging level to 3, but I don't see anything
>> useful.
>
> I have had the same issue as well. I had to run a regkey on each client to
> disable profile permission checking. The reg key is below:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
> "CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
> "CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001
>
> Once you run that, your clients should be able to get their roaming profile

I recently ran into a similar issue that was solved by adding "nt acl
support = yes" to my [profiles] share.  Not sure if that's related but
thought I'd share just in case.  Took me half a day looking at one of
my working systems and the one that was failing till I finally noticed
that entry.

--
Paul Dugas • Paul at Dugas.cc • +1.404.932.1355