[Samba] samba PDC/NIS client

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 20:46:11 MST 2012

I have a server which is a samba PDC and has recently been converted to an
NIS client. For historic reasons, many users login information is in the
local machine's /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.

samba is set up to use a tdbsam database.

I got the first indication of problems when I tried to add a user using the
smbpasswd -a command. I found that smbpasswd would not recognize the user
unless either the username was in the /etc/passwd file, or I changed
/etc/nsswitch.conf from
passwd compat
TO:
passwd files nis

However, if I make the latter change, the user cannot log into any Windows
machines that are controlled by my PDC. To allow logins, all I have to do is
ypcat passwd | grep <username> >> /etc/passwd
After this, the user can log in.

Is there any configuration of samba that will allow it to properly
recognize user data from the NIS map and not require the user to be listed
in the /etc/passwd file?

Simon