[Samba] Printer Connection Problem

Andrew Bradshaw andrewb at icn.usyd.edu.au
Thu Mar 8 14:35:50 MST 2012

I have about 10 printers installed through cups (all working via test
page printing via cups webpage). Roughly half of these are experiencing
this problem with samba.

When I run

[root at pluto ~]# rpcclient localhost -U'root%j3yThEiH' -c "enumprinters"
         flags:[0x800000]
         name:[\\LOCALHOST\]
         comment:[HP Laserjet8000DN]

         flags:[0x800000]
         name:[\\LOCALHOST\e9hp3015]
         comment:[HP laserjet 3015]

-- truncated

half of them are missing the queue name part in the name field...

And when I try to connect to these from windows I get

Connect to Printer. Windows couldn't connect to the printer. Check the
printer name and try again. If this is a network printer, make sure that
the printer is turned on, and that the printer address is correct.

[root at pluto ~]# testparm
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Can't find include file /etc/samba/smb.conf.
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[Profiles]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

[global]
         workgroup = E8
         server string = Pluto Samba Server
         interfaces = em1
         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
         passdb backend = smbpasswd
         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
         log file = /var/log/samba/samba
         max log size = 200000
         name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
         unix extensions = No
         printcap name = cups
         logon script = %m.bat
         logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u