[Samba] speed of samba vs Windows

Ben Metcalfe bwmetcalfe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 13:15:21 MDT 2012

"That's the point. I am
pushing the idea that our problem is not using folder redirection and the
Windows guy is pushing the idea that its samba itself."

Spot-on.
Your windows guy just needs to implement a few AD registry tweaks (see
below etc) to get things working sweetly, and folder redirection (to
MS-Server or samba/linux) is considered to be best-practice in every
microsoft house I've ever come across. No-one uses roaming profiles without
it, unless all their workstations are wired with 10GB ethernet to the most
over-spec'd server I've ever seen, or their users don't actually roam more
than once every six months...