[Samba] Samba4: fileserver on a box other than a DC

Bjoern Baumbach bb at sernet.de
Wed Jun 27 09:34:56 MDT 2012

Hi Steve,

On 06/27/2012 04:59 PM, steve wrote:
> How do I then tell the clients (I have both Linux and xp and 7 in the
> domain) to look at the new fileserver?

DFS could be a solution:

msdfs proxy (S)

   This parameter indicates that the share is a stand-in for another
   CIFS share whose location is specified by the value of the
   parameter. When clients attempt to connect to this share, they are
   redirected to the proxied share using the SMB-Dfs protocol.

   Only Dfs roots can act as proxy shares. Take a look at the msdfs
   root and host msdfs options to find out how to set up a Dfs root
   share.

   Example: msdfs proxy = \otherserver\someshare