[Samba] Samba4 Can we use two file-servers?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jun 26 04:22:45 MDT 2012

On 26/06/12 11:54, Mike Howard wrote:
> On 26/06/2012 09:04, steve wrote:
>> Hi
>> We've just added a second DC to our domain, both DCs are Samba4
>>
>> DC1 is also the s3fs file server. If that goes down then so does the
>> file-server. IOW, we can still authenticate via DC2 but we cannot do
>> any work!
>>
>> What are my options here? Is it possible to sync the files to DC2 and
>> use that in case of failure? Or maybe add a third box running smbd?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
> It depends on your needs. For me, I use a couple of arm plugs as PDC &
> BDC for authentiaction and dns etc and file serve files from elsewhere,
> also plugs. Where ever you serve files from, if that box goes down you
> lose your data/file serving capability. You can use (software or
> hardware) raid to provide redundancy for the disks and/or a complete
> backup device for full HA.

Hi Mike
Sorry, my English is over 30 years old! Can you give me a one liner on
plugs and HA in a S4 context?

We'd like to have a spare box with a backup of the data to substitute
the DC/fileserver. What do you think about the possibility of syncing
the data over to the secondary DC along with a copy of smb.conf and
using that when the primary DC/fileserver goes down. Would the clients
know to use the new fileserver: thinking about Kerberos here.

Cheers
Steve