[Samba] Samba4 Can we use two file-servers?

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 03:54:04 MDT 2012

On 26/06/2012 09:04, steve wrote:
> Hi
> We've just added a second DC to our domain, both DCs are Samba4
>
> DC1 is also the s3fs file server. If that goes down then so does the
> file-server. IOW, we can still authenticate via DC2 but we cannot do
> any work!
>
> What are my options here? Is it possible to sync the files to DC2 and
> use that in case of failure? Or maybe add a third box running smbd?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
It depends on your needs. For me, I use a couple of arm plugs as PDC &
BDC for authentiaction and dns etc and file serve files from elsewhere,
also plugs. Where ever you serve files from, if that box goes down you
lose your data/file serving capability. You can use (software or
hardware) raid to provide redundancy for the disks and/or a complete
backup device for full HA.

--
Any question is easy if you know the answer!