[Samba] ACLS without winbind (but WITH correct user mapping)

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Jun 22 04:46:50 MDT 2012

On 22/06/12 11:41, Colin Fowler wrote:
> On 21/06/12 17:50, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 05:50:45PM +0100, Colin Fowler wrote:

> Am I corect in thinking that this is something that would be desireable
> for others and not just me and my rather oddball configuration? For
> people using standalone servers, NSS/LDAP etc and any other places where
> winbind is not used, this would be a rather useful feature, no?

Hi Colin, Hi Jeremy
I don't think it's so oddball. We also use nss for our rfc2307 mappings
from the S4 directory for Linux clients joined to the domain. It works
perfectly via NFS to Linux but acls on shares on s3fs between Linux and
windows are not quite right.

Colin: Are you talking about setting an acl on windows and it being
honoured by Linux and vica versa?

Jeremy: are you saying that acl mappings 'both ways' only work with winbind?

If so, a big +1 from me to get the 'both' ways working. Very desirable.
Maybe this will get easier when we can put stuff like create mode= and
force group= in smb.conf.

Cheers,
Steve