[Samba] Samba 4 provisioning error on Ubuntu 12.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Thu Jun 21 00:19:00 MDT 2012

On 20/06/12 22:17, todd kman wrote:
> Hi Andrew, Rowland.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and offer
> suggestions.
> I had to take a break over the last few days as I needed to put out fires.
> Now I am back to the Samba4 server effort.
> I am really wanting to get this to work.
>
> I have tried the various suggestions.
> I tried to uninstall Samba3 but encountered an error that prevented this.
> I then tried to follow the instructions suggested by L.P.H. van Belle.
> I then tried Rowlands suggestion of adding 2 lines to smb.conf.  Still
> not working.
> I tried the suggestions related to installing Samba4 again.  Still not
> working.
> Grasping at straws I decided to update all packages - 39 needed
> updates.  37 worked. 2 failed to update.
> I then ran the provision command and am still getting the error.
>      *>  sudo /usr/local/samba/sbin/provision --realm=server.com --domain=server --adminpass=<mypassword>   --server-role=dc*
>      Looking up IPv4 addresses
>      Looking up IPv6 addresses
>      No IPv6 address will be assigned
>      get_nt_acl_no_snum: fset_nt_acl returned zero.
>      ProvisioningError: Your filesystem or build does not support posix ACLs, s3fs is unworkable in this mode
> The problem seems to be related to the posix ACLs.  How do I get these
> to work?
>
> I have not tried the steps from
> because this is based on the Samba HowTo that I followed in the first
> place.
>
> Any other suggestions about how to get this working?
>
> I am willing to completely reinstall if this will make this easier to
> start with a clean system.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Todd.

All I can suggest is to start again, re-install Ubuntu 12.04, preferably
the server version, do not add anything other than openssh and do not
use LVM. If you then follow the howto to the letter, you should be able
to get Samba4 up and running without touching /etc/fstab, it works for me.

One thing I did notice, your provision command is incorrect:

*sudo /usr/local/samba/sbin/provision --realm=server.com --domain=server --adminpass=<mypassword>   --server-role=dc*

**

*--domain=server should be --domain=SERVER

*Rowland*

*

believed to be clean.