[Samba] winbind template homedir liimitations

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jun 19 08:41:15 MDT 2012

On 19/06/12 14:47, NdK wrote:
> Il 19/06/2012 13:33, steve ha scritto:
>
>> Is it possible to specify more than one
>> template homedir = xxx
>> in smb.conf?
> I don't think so.
> It could be useful for me, too, if possible (say: to have a web-home dir
> for some users, on a separate share than their data-home).
> But I couldn't define a clear semantic for multiple [homes], even if at
> all possible.
>
>> Everyone seems to have their Linux home directories created in the same
>> folder, which makes administration difficult. We'd like to organise
>> users into sub folders.
> You can differentiate on the domain and other info, replacing parts of
> path with macros. Maybe not much, but it's a start.
>
> BYtE,
>   Diego.

Hi Diego
The macro idea sounds good.

What we are doing at the moment with Samba4 is storing the
unixHomeDirectory attribute in the directory and pulling it back out
with nss-pam-ldapd:

/etc/nslcd.conf
map	passwd	uid              samAccountName
map	passwd	homeDirectory    unixHomeDirectory
map	group 	uniqueMember	member

It gives us the flexibility we need without using winbind. I was
wondering if there was an official way to do this.
Cheers,
Steve