[Samba] Samba Platform Support Clarification

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Jun 17 06:34:51 MDT 2012

David,

Samba indeed can be used on a wide range of operating systems to provide
file and print interoperability with Microsoft Windows platforms.  The
Samba source code can be compiled to run on many operating system
platforms.  In the past is has been built and run on Linux, UNIX (all
flavors), VME, VMS, MVE, etc.

Samba is included with nearly all Linux distributions whether used
natively or in virtual machines.

You should be able to obtain Samba binaries (RPM packages) for your z/VM
-baed Red Hat Linux system.  If not, you may have to build them on your
platform.

- John T.