[Samba] Samba and LDAP

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 06:56:29 MDT 2012

You can use smbpasswd or pdbedit to add a samba user.   Actually, if the
LDAP user already exists the smbpasswd or pdbedit command adds various
samba attributes.

You should look at the LDAP properties of a user before and after you
run the "smbpasswd -a" or "pdbedit -a" command.   I like the Apache
Directory Studio ldap editor/browser, although you can also use
ldapsearch from the command line.  You will see that the samba-enabled
LDAP accounts have additional object classes and attributes.

I have Samba 3.x with an LDAP backend.  Not all LDAP users are Samba
users, since we use LDAP for other things besides samba.  By default,
samba expects that the ldap user already exisits.   However, it is
possible for samba to be configured to automatically create and delete
the ldap user.