[Samba] Samba 4 install fails, no matter what I do

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen pekka.jalkanen at vihreat.fi
Tue Jul 31 06:32:03 MDT 2012

I can't install Samba 4 in practically any fashion.

I've tried Debian packages without much success (see
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2012-July/085301.html)
I later on figured out that it is not possible to use those packages
without using ntvfs (see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=679678).

I've attempted to compile it from source under Debian Squeeze, but while
it indeed compiles, "make install" doesn't succeed (see the message I
posted on this list yesterday:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2012-July/168490.html)

I've now installed a new VM from scratch running Debian Wheezy to test
S4 under that, but "make install" didn't succeed that way either. I've
now attached to this message a complete log of everything that I've done
in hope that somebody could help me understand why on earth it doesn't
work. Surely Samba 4 should be at least installable under Debian; it's
not, after all, an alpha release any more...

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen