[Samba] Question about the difference samba3x and samba 3.x

Heather Choi hceuterpe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:29:17 MDT 2012

samba3x is essentially anything beyond the original Samba 3.0 packages.
However, the fact they didn't bump samba3x is actually not true.  Redhat
started doing this with RHEL5.4 as a technology preview with Samba 3.3:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.4_Technical_Notes/samba3x.html
It was no longer a technology preview in RHEL5.5:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.5_Technical_Notes/samba3x.html

In RHEL5.6 samba3x went from Samba 3.3 to Samba 3.5
Finally on RHEL5, if you try to install samba3x and samba3 second (or
vice versa), I'm pretty sure those packages will complain that they
conflict.

Hope that helps.