[Samba] Discard permissions on moving files/folders in a share and inherit the permissions of the new parent directory

Elfish elfish at gmx.de
Tue Jul 3 00:13:01 MDT 2012

Hi,

I'd like to inherit the permissions of a parent folder to file/folder that
is moved into it.
Just like if you copy it. Since the Windows default behaviour is different,
i tried to find out how to change it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310316/en-us

Describes a registry setting to fix my issue.
Sadly this doesn't work for windows 7.
After some googling i found a hotfix by Microsoft, that adds the feature to
Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617058/en-us

After applying the hotfix to my Windows 7 box. I set the registry bit and
tried to move a folder/file.
And guess what? It didn't work. I'm now looking for what i'm doing wrong.

Here's the parent dir's ACL under linux:

# file: test
> # owner: elfish
> # group: elfish
> user::rwx
> group::rwx
> group:sharepub:rwx
> group:sharepriv:rwx
> group:shareguest:r-x
> mask::rwx
> other::rwx
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::rwx
> default:group:sharepub:rwx
> default:group:sharepriv:rwx
> default:group:shareguest:r-x
> default:mask::rwx
> default:other::rwx

And here are my share settings:

[share]
> path = /media/1e35aa75-0b19-4f58-9410-544bb44f8b2c/share
> guest ok = no
> read only = no
> browseable = yes
> inherit acls = yes
> inherit permissions = no
> ea support = no
> store dos attributes = no
> vfs objects = recycle
> recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
> recycle:keeptree = yes
> recycle:versions = yes
> recycle:touch = yes
> recycle:directory_mode = 0777
> recycle:subdir_mode = 0700
> printable = no
> create mask = 0755
> force create mode = 0644
> directory mask = 0755
> force directory mode = 0755
> hide dot files = yes
> valid users = shareguest, at sharepub, at sharepriv
> invalid users =
> read list =
> write list = shareguest, at sharepub, at sharepriv

Anyone got an idea whats wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Regards