[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 02:52:45 MDT 2012

On 03/07/12 08:40, steve wrote:
> On 02/07/12 23:44, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:

>> Hi Steve,
>> Maybe I have misunderstood what you are trying to do but if you already
>> have automounter doing the right thing - maybe for the sake of argument
>> mapping
>> /home2/students/year7/year7a/student1
>> /home2/students/year7/year7a/student2
>> /home2/students/year13/year13a/student2500
>> /homes/student1
>> /homes/student2
>> /homes/student250
>>
>> then you need only [homes] share in the smb.conf,
>> and then (similarly to Matthieu's suggestion) provide
>> \\servername\%username%
>> for homeDirectory attribute (and profilePath if you want roaming
>> profiles)?
>>

>> HTH

> Hi Lukasz
Hi Steve
> No, you have understood perfectly
>
> Is you [homes] a winbind [homes]?
No, We do not use winbind at all. Our main directory service is still
openldap (which is used on all of the linux infrastructure + legacy s3
domain) and Samba4 is used purely as a Windows DC. We have plans to move
to only Samba4 directory service but that will take some time

> If so, we'd rather avoid having everyone in the same folder even if they
> are only links to the real data. We'd like to separate students from
> e.g. [staff] [admin] [webstuff] ... if only for readability purposes e.g.
In our case the separation is done on the posix permission/group
membership and physical location of the data - staff and students live
on the separate partitions/volumes

We do do a separation trick (akin to the symlinks that you mentioned but
slightly coarse grained) for profiles again through automounter maps.
Our profiles stanza is smb.conf is
[profiles]
         path = /profiles/%G

and /profiles will include