[Samba] smb.conf for around 2500 users

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Jul 3 03:33:05 MDT 2012

On 03/07/12 10:41, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:
> On 03/07/12 09:29, steve wrote:

>>> Hi Lukasz
>>> No, you have understood perfectly
>>>
>>> Is you [homes] a winbind [homes]?
>>>
>>> If so, we'd rather avoid having everyone in the same folder even if they
>>> are only links to the real data. We'd like to separate students from
>>> e.g. [staff] [admin] [webstuff] ... if only for readability purposes
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> [students]
>>> path = /home/students/data
>>> read only = No
>>> browsable = No
>>>
>>> then
>>>
>>> ln -s /home2/students/year7/year7a/student1 /home/students/data/student1
>>>
>>> In AD that becomes:
>>>
>>> unixHomeDirectory: /home2/students/year7/year7a/student1
>>> homeDirectory: \\server\students\student1
>>> homeDrive: Z:
>>>
>>> How does that look?
>>>
>>> Cheers and thanks for your time,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Hi
>> OK I made the link in /home/students/data
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jul 3 09:54 joseph ->
>> /home2/students/year7/7a/joseph
>>
>> However, in xp browsing to Z: gives:
>> access is denied
>>
>> Not even Administrator has access to it. If Administrator grants himself
>> rights and gives full control to joseph, both he and joseph still get
>> access denied.
>>
>> However, joseph can access his home folder with the share like this
>> (without the link):
>> [students]
>>  > path = /home/students
>>  > read only = No
>>  > browsable = No
>>
>> Are we sure that the file server understands symlinks?
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>
> Hi Steve,
> Check wide links smb.conf parameter

Hi Lukasz
Yes, I think that's what I need but it doesn't work with samba4:
samba-tool testparm -v
Unknown parameter encountered: "wide links"
Ignoring unknown parameter "wide links"
and
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: Unknown parameter encountered:
"wide links"
/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: Ignoring unknown parameter "wide
links"

Without links, I think the only way to do it is with a separate share
for each class of students:

[year7a]
path = /home2/students/year7/year7a
read only = No

[year7b]
path = /home2/students/year7/year7b
read only = No

Maybe  should open a new thread on wide links?
Cheers,
Steve